Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Rules,1987
The Indecent Representation Of Women (Prohibition) Rules, 1987
Published vide G.S.R.822(E), dated 25-9-1987, published in the Gazette of India, Pt. II, Section 3(i), No. 496, dated 25-9-1987.
In exercise of the powers conferred by section 10 of the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986 (60 of 1986), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules, namely :—
- Short title and commencement .—(1) These rules may be called The Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Rules, 1987.
(2) They shall come into force on the 2nd October, 1987.
- Definitions .—(1) In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires,—
(a) “Act ”means the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986 (60 of 1986);
(b ) “article ”means any book, pamphlet, paper, slide, film, writing, drawing, painting, photograph, representation of figure;
(c) “authorised officer ”means any Gazetted Officer authorised by the State Government for the purpose of section 5 of the Act;
(d) “section ”means a section of the Act.
(2) Words and expressions used in these rules and not defined, shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Act.
- Manner of seizing of articles .—(1) Every seizure made in pursuance of the provisions of sub-section (1) of section 5 shall be made in the manner hereinafter provided in these rules.
(2) The authorised officer seizing any advertisements or articles under sub-section (1) of section 5 shall prepare a list of such advertisements or articles containing such details relating to the description, quality, quantity, mark, number and other particulars thereof as he may consider relevant to the identity of such advertisements or articles in any proceeding under the Act, in the Form annexed to these rules.
(3) The authorised officer shall pack and seal such advertisements or articles in the manner provided in rule 4 and shall deliver a copy of the list so prepared to the person from which such advertisements or articles are seized.
(4) The advertisements or articles so seized shall be marked with a distinguishing number and shall also be signed by the authorised officer, the person from whom such advertisements or articles have been seized and two respectable inhabitants of the locality. If it is not possible to mark any such advertisement or article, the marking may be done on the packaging or in any other manner which the authorised officer thinks proper.
- Manner of packing and dealing with the advertisements or articles seized .—(1) The advertisements or articles seized shall be packed in adequately strong paper, cloth or in any other packing material in such a way that the advertisements or articles may not be tampered with and the ends of the paper, cloth or other packing material shall be neatly folded in and affixed by means of gum or other adhesive or stitched in or tied.
(2) The package shall be further secured by means of strong twine or thread and the twine or thread shall be fastened on the package by means of sealing wax on which there shall at least four distinct and clear impressions of the seal of the authorised officer of which one shall be on the top of the package, one at the bottom and the other two at the body of the package and knots of the twine or thread shall be covered by means of sealing wax bearing the impression of the seal of the authorised officer.
(3) Where necessary, the authorised officer shall put the advertisements or articles in a box or a container of a suitable material and seize and seal it in the manner provided in sub-rule (2).
- Manner of seizing and sealing of advertisements or articles in certain cases .—Notwithstanding anything contained in rules 3 and 4, where the authorised officer is of the opinion that it is not possible to seize and seal any advertisement or article in the manner prescribed in rules 3 and 4 due to the size or the nature of such advertisement or article, he may take such steps as he thinks fit for the seizure and sealing of such advertisement or article without affecting the integrity, utility of saleable value thereof.
The Indecent Representation Of Wome (Prohibition) Rules, 1987
[See rule 3(2)]
List of Advertisements or Articles Seized To,
(Name and address of the person from whom the advertisements on article/s are seized)
The advertisement/s, article/s detailed below has/have this day been seized by me under sub-section (1) of section 5 of the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986 (60 of 1986), from the premises………..situated at……..
Details of the advertisement/s, article/s seized.