A bar association is a association or a collective Body of practicing lawyers.
In our Country some bar associations are responsible for the regulation of the legal profession in their jurisdiction; others are professional organizations dedicated to serving their members; in many cases, they are both.
Many of the Commonwealth jurisdictions, the bar association is found to comprise lawyers who are qualified as barristers or advocates in particular, versus solicitors (see Bar Council).
Membership in bar associations may be mandatory or optional for practicing attorneys, depending on jurisdiction.
However, Advocates do become members of various local or national bar associations for reasons of recognition and facilities which these associations offer.
Some well-known Bar Associations in India include the Supreme Court Bar Association, Delhi High Court Bar Association, Bombay Bar Association, Delhi Bar Association, National Bar Association of India, All India Bar Association, etc.
- Allahabad High Court Bar Association
- All India Bar Association
- Bombay Bar Association
- Custom and International Trade Bar Association
- Delhi High Court Bar Association(DHCBA)
- Gauhati High Court Bar Association
- GWALIOR HIGH COURT BAR ASSOCIATION
- International Bar Association
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Jammu & Kashmir High Court Bar Association
- Kerala High Court Advocates’ Association
- Madras Bar Association
- Mizoram Bar Assocition
- Nagpur High Court Bar Association
- National Asia Pacific American Bar Association
- Namchi Bar Association
- Odisha High Court Bar Association
- Patna High Court Advocates Association
- Punjab & Haryana High Court Bar Association
- Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA)
- Tax Appellate Tribunal Bar Association
- Rajasthan High Court Bar Association
- Uttarakhand Bar Association
Legal Profession Laws @ LatestLaws.com-
- Advocates Act,1961
- Advocates (Right To Take Up Law Teaching) Rules, 1979
- Bar Council Of India Advocates Welfare Scheme, 1998
- Bar Council Of India Rules
- Bar Council of India Rules of Legal Education,2008
- Bar Council of India Rules,1975
- Bar Council of India Training Rule,1995
- BCI Certificate and Place of Practice (Verification) Rules, 2015
- Legal Practitioners (Regulation and Maintenance of Standards in Profession, Protecting the Interest of Clients and Promoting the Rule of Law) Bill,2010
- Model Schemes For Welfare Of Advocates Framed By Bar Council Of India
- Advocates Welfare Fund Act,2001
- Apprentices Act,1961