Law Dictionaries (i.e. Black’s Law Dictionary)
- Barron’s Dictionary of Legal Terms A simplified guide to the language of law.
- Black’s Law Dictionary 8th Edition Black’s Law Dictionary is the definitive legal resource for lawyers, law students and laypeople alike. Edited by the world’s foremost legal lexicographer, Bryan A. Garner, Black’s Law Dictionary is known for its clear and precise legal definitions, substantive accuracy, and stylistic clarity — making it the most cited legal dictionary in print.
- Dean’s Law Dictionary Version 73 Seeing is believing and you can easily download and see first hand the unsurpassed professional quality of our state-of-the-art definitions in our Digital Legal Dictionary. Discover for yourself all of the unmatched features you get with Dean’s Law Dictionary.
- Oxford Dictionary of Law This best-selling dictionary is an authoritative and comprehensive source of jargon-free legal information. It contains over 4,200 entries that clearly define the major terms, concepts, processes, and the organization of the English legal system.
- Webster’s New World Law Dictionary Law has a language all its own. Webster’s New World Law Dictionary translates it clearly. Written in plain English, it’s much easier to understand than typical legal documents.
Online Law Dictionaries
- Duhaime’s Law Dictionary Duhaime’s Law Dictionary is designed to offer one-stop shopping to all of us who occasionally need to know what a certain legal word means, because our rights stand to be affected by a reference to it, or because of employment or academic research requirements.
- John Bouvier’s Law Dictionary Adapted to the Constitution and laws of the United States of America and of the several states of the American union.
- Latin Legal Terms Dictionary This small collection of most widely used Latin words and expressions from the legal jargon is a gem. Many of these Latin terms are used in modern legal terminology.
- Law Dictionary – Look Up Legal dictionary search engine for legal terminology definitions and legal abbreviations.
- Law.com Legal Dictionary This dictionary allows you to look up the definition of a legal term by entering a word or phrase.
- Lectric Law Library’s Dictionary This is what many consider the Net’s best law dictionary. It offers thousands of definitions & explanations of legal terms, phrases & concepts. Please note that LLL’s Legal Lexicon addresses mainly US law. Although the layman can also gain great benefit out of this lexicon, it probably suits lawyers and professionals best.
- Legal Dictionary by The Free Dictionary The main source of TheFreeDictionary’s legal dictionary is West’s Encyclopedia of American Law, Edition 2, which contains more than 4,000 entries detailing terms, concepts, events, movements, cases, and individuals significant to United States law.
- LegalGlossary.org A good source to find definitions for legal terms.