Defending the suspension of senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash, the Karnataka State Government told the High Court that law enforcement officers acted improperly by aligning themselves with Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) during the IPL victory celebration, without following statutory protocol. The government claimed that the officers operated as though they were “servants of RCB,” causing administrative embarrassment and failing in their official duties.

Appearing for the State, Senior Counsel P.S. Rajagopal submitted that RCB had informed local police in advance about its planned celebration. However, officers failed to verify the event's authorization status and began arranging for security without necessary approvals. “The simplest course of action would have been to inform RCB that they had no permission. Had they insisted, they could have approached the Court and the law would have taken its own course,” he remarked.

The government contended that despite the anticipation of large crowds after RCB’s maiden IPL title win, the officers neither issued safety advisories nor coordinated with senior officials. The result was a tragic stampede outside M. Chinnaswamy Stadium on June 4, leaving 11 people dead and 33 injured.

Referring to Section 35 of the Karnataka Police Act, Rajagopal argued that the police had sufficient authority to act but failed to exercise it responsibly. He also noted that no guidance had been sought from higher-ups, demonstrating a serious lapse in command. The officers’ suspension, he asserted, was a preventive measure to keep them “out of mischief” and not a form of punishment.

Responding to the High Court's inquiry on who bore responsibility for the in-stadium arrangements, the State said unequivocally: “State police officials.” The counsel criticized the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) for exonerating the officers and taking a lenient view. Quoting the CAT’s sympathetic observation that “police officers are also human, not God or magicians,” Rajagopal sarcastically remarked, “Such fairy tales may be suitable for bedtime stories, not judicial orders.”

The State is appealing the CAT’s July 1 order that quashed the suspension of Vikash Kumar Vikash, directing the State to reinstate him with full pay and allowances. The Tribunal had found no substantial evidence of negligence and said RCB’s late social media announcement had left police with little time to prepare.

The State questioned this rationale, stating that even within the limited 12-hour window, the officer in question made no visible effort to manage the situation.

On July 3, the Division Bench of Justice S.G. Pandit and Justice T.M. Nadaf asked the State to justify why suspension was preferred over a mere transfer. Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty responded that records would clearly establish the validity of the suspension.

Vikash, notably, is the only one among the five suspended officers to challenge the disciplinary action. The others include top-ranking officers such as Bengaluru Police Commissioner B. Dayananda and DCP Shekar H. Tekkannavar.

Meanwhile, Royal Challengers Bengaluru has filed a separate petition seeking removal of adverse comments made against it in the CAT order. RCB argues it was not a party to the proceedings and thus was denied an opportunity to be heard. The team claims that the Tribunal made prejudicial findings regarding its alleged role in the stampede without any conclusive fact-finding inquiry.

RCB also submitted that, under its contractual agreement with M/s DNA Networks and the Karnataka State Cricket Association, the responsibility for obtaining permissions rested with these service providers.

A formal inquiry by the Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner is still underway, and RCB asserts that any conclusion drawn in the absence of a final report is premature.

Picture Source :

 
Siddharth Raghuvanshi