The UP labour department has discovered that several beneficiaries of a mass wedding event last year for underprivileged families under a State Govt scheme were already married & submitted forged documents to claim the compensation amount provided.
Six FIRs were lodged at the Sihani Gate police station on May 20 against 12 people under IPC sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust), & 467/468 (forgery). (Representational Image)
After unsuccessfully attempting to recover the funds from these beneficiaries through notices & recovery, the department has filed FIRs against the individuals involved, labour officials familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.
The incident occurred in November 2022, when a mass wedding ceremony was organised at the Kamla Nehru Nagar ground, where a total of 3,003 couples from underprivileged backgrounds tied the knot in an event attended by then labour minister Anil Rajbhar & Ghaziabad MP General VK Singh (retired).
Under the scheme, which was intended for the marriage of daughters of registered labourers with the labour department, each beneficiary received ₹75,000 & the government covered the costs of the event.
According to labour officials, the incident came to light when they discovered that out of the 3,003 registered couples, 92 beneficiaries were yet to receive their compensation due to incomplete account information. It was then that the labour department started conducting random checks of the documents submitted by the beneficiaries, & discovered that many documents were forged, said officials aware of the matter.
Ravi Srivastava, the deputy labour commissioner said, “During random checks, we discovered that some brides had already been married before the event on November 24, 2022, as their Aadhaar cards displayed their husbands’ names. It became evident that the suspects applied maliciously & concealed crucial information".
According to officials, registered labourers had to provide supporting documents & affidavits declaring their daughters’ unmarried status & financial need for assistance. Consequently, labour officials filed FIRs against both the parents & their daughters involved in these fraudulent cases.
Srivastava said, “The six FIRs filed thus far name the parents & their daughters. We suspect that there are more cases like this. When the problems were discovered, we served them with notices to return the beneficiary amount of ₹75,000 per marriage, & recovery notices were issued when there was no response".
6 FIRs were lodged at the Sihani Gate police station on May 20 against 12 people under IPC sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust), & 467/468 (forgery).
Ravi Kumar Singh, assistant commissioner of police (Nandgram) said that “We filed FIRs based on complaints received from the department. So far, no arrests have been made, & we are conducting an investigation based on documents submitted by the suspects".
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the LatestLaws staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Source Link
Picture Source :

