January,15,2017:
The Apex Court has sought answers on a PIL which has accused AAP govt. of illegally diverting ₹900 crore from the construction workers' welfare fund to other purposes.
States & UTs have collected nearly Rs 30,000 crore so far under the Building & Other Construction Workers' Welfare Cess Act , 1996.
The Delhi govt. collected nearly ₹1,500 crore under this head. This issue was raised on Friday, before a bench headed by Justice Madan Lokur by the National Campaign Committee for Central Legislation on Construction Labour through the senior advocate Colin Gonsalves.
Colin Gonsalves said that alleged diversion has been approved by welfare board for construction workers under the Delhi govt. despite it being striked off earlier by the SC.
Gonsalves said despite the clear warnings from the Centre & in violation of the Supreme Court's repeated orders, last year the construction workers' welfare board under the AAP govt. in Delhi tentatively approved allocation of ₹100 crore for opening of schools, ₹200 crore for opening hospitals & health insurance cover, ₹400 crore for opening Anganwadi & ₹200 crore for setting up of temporary accommodation.
Publish Your Article
Campus Ambassador
Media Partner
Campus Buzz
LatestLaws.com presents: Lexidem Offline Internship Program, 2026
LatestLaws.com presents 'Lexidem Online Internship, 2026', Apply Now!