Allahbad High Court
Allahabad High Court
Allahabad High Court
The Allahabad High Court or the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad is a high court in Allahabad, having jurisdiction over the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh since 1869. It was one of the first high courts to be established in India.
Allahabad became the seat of Government of North-Western Provinces and a High Court was established in 1834 but was shifted to Agra within a year. In 1868 it shifted back to Allahabad. The former High Court was located at the Accountant General’s office at the University of Allahabad complex.
It was originally founded as the High Court of Judicature for the North-Western Provinces at Agra on 17 March 1866 by the Indian High Courts Act 1861 replacing the old Sadr Diwani Adalat. Sir Walter Morgan, Barrister-at-Law and Mr. Simpson were appointed the first Chief Justice and the first Registrar respectively of the High Court of North-Western Provinces.
The location High Court for the North-Western Provinces was shifted from Agra to Allahabad in 1869 and the name was correspondingly changed to the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad from 11 March 1919.
On 2 November 1925, the Oudh Judicial Commissioner’s Court was replaced by the Oudh Chief Court at Lucknow by the Oudh Civil Courts Act of 1925, enacted by the United Provinces Legislature with the previous sanction of the Governor General the passing of this Act.
On 25 February 1948, the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly passed a resolution requesting the Governor to submit to the Governor General the request of the Assembly to the effect that the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad and the Oudh Chief Court be amalgamated. Consequently, the Chief Court of Oudh was amalgamated with the High Court of Allahabad.
When the state of Uttaranchal, now known as Uttarakhand, was carved out of Uttar Pradesh in 2000, this high court ceased to have jurisdiction over the districts falling in Uttaranchal. Allahabad High court was built by Khan saheb Nizamuddin of Loha Mundi, Agra, India. He also donated the water fountain to the High court.
The Principal Seat seat and Benches
The seat of the court is at Allahabad. Allahabad High Court maintains a permanent circuit bench at Lucknow. The bench consists three highly qualified ex-officio jurists, the administrative capital of the state.
Its maximum number of sanctioned judges is 160, the highest in India.