According to the news agency, a US federal Judge has ordered the Trump administration to postpone its ban on downloads of TikTok or defend itself in a Court hearing this weekend brought by the Chinese-owner of the video-sharing application.
If Judge Nichols of the US District Court of Columbia decides on Sunday to halt the Trump administration's actions against TikTok, it would be the second setback of its kind for the White House in a week, the report said on Thursday.
Another United States federal Judge last week temporarily blocked President Donald Trump's executive order curbing Americans' use of WeChat, a popular Chinese-owned messaging & e-commerce app.
The White House said US downloads of the application on the Apple Playstore & Android's Google Play will be restricted from Sunday & all of TikTok US operations will be banned on Nov 12 unless the company ceded its local controlling equity & technology to an American firm.
In Aug, Trump threatened to ban the application in the US, citing wider concerns about alleged Chinese Govt spying on data of Americans using China-originated social media.
The United States' ban was originally to take effect on Sept 20 but was later deferred to Nov 12 after the Trump administration offered the company a way out by allowing a US entity to acquire it.
Trump said the software firm Oracle & retail giant Walmart were in final talks for assuming control of TikTok's equity & technology.
However, TikTok's parent company ByteDance has insisted to retain an 80 per cent stake in the video-sharing platform's restructured US operations.
Source Link
Publish Your Article
Campus Ambassador
Media Partner
Campus Buzz
LatestLaws.com presents: Lexidem Offline Internship Program, 2026
LatestLaws.com presents 'Lexidem Online Internship, 2026', Apply Now!