December 06, 2018:
Se was filmed naked in the shower by a hidden camera while a hotel guest.
A Chicago woman is suing Hilton Worldwide for $100 million saying that she was filmed naked in the shower by a hidden camera while a hotel guest — in footage uploaded with her name onto multiple porn sites.
The unnamed plaintiff sued the hotel giant for negligence citing “severe & permanent psychological injuries,” “severe mental anguish, emotional distress & other damages” such as medical expenses & loss of earnings.
The woman was a guest at a Hampton Inn & Suites hotel in Albany, the capital of New York state, in July 2015 while taking a bar exam after graduating from law school.
She was recorded, fully nude, while taking a shower by a hidden video camera, the 19-page lawsuit claims.
But she was blissfully ignorant until September 2018, more than three years later, when she received an email saying “this is you right?” with a link to the video on a porn site published with her full name.
The same person, claiming “I’m a perv,” then sent multiple threatening emails, professing to know where she went to university & where she worked.
When the threats went unheeded, the video appeared on a string of other porn sites. Colleagues, friends & former classmates received a new version of the video, sent from a fake email address set up in her name.
The extortionist then demanded an immediate hush payment of $2,000 followed by $1,000 a month for a year, the lawsuit claims, also alleging that other people were recorded in the same room at the same Hampton Inn.
“We take the safety & wellbeing of our guests incredibly seriously, & find the details included in the civil filing distressing,” said a spokesperson for Hilton, the parent company of Hampton Inn.
“We commit to supporting the independent ownership & management of the property as they investigate, respond & cooperate with any law enforcement investigations,” the statement added.
A spokesperson for the Hampton Inn in question said they were “shocked & stunned to learn of the allegations” late Monday, saying that no recording devices “of any kind” had been discovered at the property.
“The safety & security of our guests is our highest priority, & we emphatically do not condone any form of this type of invasion of privacy,” the property said in a statement.
“Recently, the hotel underwent a complete renovation. During that process, no recording devices of any kind were uncovered,” it added, promising to work with authorities to find & hold accountable the perpetrator.