About the Organiser
Delhi Metropolitan Education is a premier educational institution affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi and approved by the Bar Council of India. It is located in Industrial Area, Sector 62, Noida, Uttar Pradesh. DME provides an excellent infrastructure with strong academic facilities for the overall development of its students. The Institute runs professional courses in Law, Journalism, and Management.
About the Course
The course on ‘Gender Justice and the Criminal Justice System in India’ deals with crimes against women and gender justice. The issue of gender justice has been a matter of discussion and deliberation, both at the international and national levels from a long time. With the increased participation of women in the economic, social, political and religious spheres of life, the instances of gender discrimination and crimes against women in India have increased multifold. Since independence and over a period of time legislative eﬀorts have been made to control and prevent the commission of certain forms of crimes against women in India.
After the Delhi Gang Rape case in the year 2012 further amendments were made in the criminal law in the year 2013 with a view to creating a strong legal framework for safeguarding the interests of women. Despite these amendments, crimes against women have been increasing at an alarming rate. The Kathua and the Unnao rape cases are examples of the increase in crimes against women.
The Course focuses on understanding the status of women, the nature of crimes committed against women, the law relating to such crimes, the role of the enforcement agencies, the procedural intricacies involved and the judicial decisions made to strengthen the position of women in society. The course provides eleven video recorded lecture sessions along with written study material.
About the Course Director
Presently, Prof. (Dr.) Manjula Batra is Director Research and Advanced Learning, DME. She is also the Director of the online course on ‘Gender Justice and the Criminal Justice System in India’. She was formerly Professor of Law and Dean at the Faculty of Law, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. She was also the Chairperson of the Ordinance Committee, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
Prof. Batra had also worked (on deputation basis) as Professor and Director at the Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies, aﬃliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi. Her career in Law spans over three decades. Prof. Batra attained her legal education from Campus Law Centre, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi and obtained a Ph.D. degree from the same. She has been involved in teaching various subjects, such as Women and Law, Tort Law, Constitutional Law, Environmental Law, Law of Evidence, Child and Law, Criminology, Socio-economic Oﬀences, Human Rights, including others, to the students of BA.LLB (Hons.), LLM and Ph.D. programmes.
Prof. Batra has a diverse and wide academic experience having been associated with prominent National and State Universities and other educational institutions across the country. She has many books and articles to her credit.
Aims & Objective of the Course
The one month online certiﬁcate course on ‘Gender Justice and the Criminal Justice System in India’ has the following objectives:
- To promote gender justice as a priority concern in development, planning and implementation. 2. To make the students sensitive about how gender plays a key role in the way women and men participate in social, political, economic and cultural institutions and activities.
- To create awareness among the students he criminal law and the criminal justice system pertaining to the rights of women.
- To enable them to analyze the policies, constitutional provisions and programmes relating to gender issues in India.
- To develop an understanding of the structures that perpetuate gender inequalities at the level of the household, the community, the workplace and the State.
- All law, non-law, UG and PG students
- Academicians/ Researchers
- Lawyers/ Law Enforcement Agencies
- Professionals/ Consultants
- Social Workers/ NGO members
- Home Makers
- One month online certificate course will be conducted in eleven sessions.
- Lectures will be delivered by eminent persons from the legal fraternity.
- Study material will be provided to the students/participants.
- Online examination will be conducted at the end of the session.
- The question paper will carry 150 marks. Out of which the students will be required to attempt 100 MCQs carrying 1 mark each and 10 short descriptive questions carrying 5 marks each that are distributed across all modules.
The fee for the Online Certificate Course will be Rs. 5000/- that has to be deposited at the time of registration. Payment details as mentioned below:
Online transfer through NEFT/RTGS:
Delhi Metropolitan Education
Bank: HDFC Bank Ltd.
Branch: Sector 18, Noida
Account No: 50100187447560
IFSC Code: HDFC0001592
The DME: Centre for Advanced Learning will issue the online certificates only to those students who fulfill the following criteria:
- It is obligatory for the students to register themselves for the Course.
- Payment of fees at the time of registration.
- It will be compulsory to attend/view all the online sessions.
- The examination will be conducted at the end of the session.
- The students must score at least 50% marks to pass the examination which is mandatory for receiving the certificate.
Module of Course
- Status of women in:
- Pre Vedic times
- Vedic times
- Ancient times
- Medieval Period
- British Period
- Contemporary times
- Gender Justice and the Law: Violence against Women
- International Human Rights and Gender Justice
- Crimes against women within the family
- Domestic Violence
- Dowry related offences
- Female Foeticide/Infanticide
- Crimes against women outside the family
- Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Outraging the Modesty of a Woman/Sexual Harassment
- Grievous Hurt/Acid Attack
- Trafficking in women and girls
- The Enforcement Mechanism and Gender Justice
- Role of Police
- Role of the Prosecutor
- Role of Judiciary
- Role of Civil Society
Lecture Session Details
|Session 1||Status of Women in India from ancient to contemporary times||Prof. Manjula BatraProfessor of Law, Director Research and Advanced Learning, Delhi Metropolitan Education (affiliated to GGSIPU);Former Dean: Faculty of Law, Jamia Millia Islamia|
|Session 2||International Human Rights and Gender Justice||Prof. Manoj Kumar Silha professor of Law,Director: Indian Law Institute, New Delhi|
|Session 3||Rape Laws||Prof. Mrinal SatishProfessor of Law, National Law University, Delhi|
|Session 4||Domestic Violence||Dr. Shivani GoswamiAssociate Professor, School of law and Legal Studies, GGSIPU|
|Session 5||Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 and Female foeticide||Dr. Bharti associate Professor, National Law University, Delhi|
|Session 6||Sexual Harassment at workplace||Dr. Jyoti Dogra SoodAssociate Professor, Indian Law Institute|
|Session 7||Acid Attack, voyeurism, and stalking||Prof. Ritu GuptaProfessor of Law, National Law University Delhi|
|Session 8||Trafficking in women and girls||Prof. Usha RazdanFormerly Professor of Law and Professor-in-charge, Law Centre I, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi|
|Session 9||Role of Police, Prosecution and Gender Justice||Dr. Anurag DeepAssociate Professor, Indian Law Institute, New Delhi|
|Session 10||Role of Judiciary and Gender Justice||Prof. Upendra BaxiFormer Vice-Chancellor, University of Delhi;Former Vice Chancellor, University of South Gujrat, Surat;
Professor Emeritus, University of Delhi;
Professor Emeritus, Warwick University
|Session 11||Role of civil society and Gender Justice||Dr. Aman HingoraniAdvocate, Supreme Court of India|
For any queries contact +91-7042667951, 7042667516
E-Mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org